The Linux Systems Engineer (Game Operations) is responsible for supporting all game production and development environments, including public facing systems for several large scale MMO/MOBA titles located in the United States and Europe. The role will be responsible for the operations, automation, maintenance, design, and implementation of both customer facing and internal services. You will provide technical insight to the team in exploring new technologies to support current and future deployments, coordinating with other departments to optimize workflows and visibility into system operations.
Responsibilities & Job Duties
• As a Linux Systems Engineer you will join a team of other system and network engineers to support the live operations of our “always-on” game services. This position requires a high level of technical knowledge and experience in the area of system administration, system virtualization, hardware and software configuration, scripting, automation and some networking and system security.
• Deploy, configure, and maintain servers and other critical infrastructure to support game services.
• Proactively work to improve supportability and stability of hardware and software services.
• Perform server performance tuning and capacity planning.
• Troubleshoot hardware, software, and basic network issues.
• Collaborate with project managers and 3rd party/in-house developers for implementation services.
• Create and update documentation (design specs, project plans, proposals, wiki entries).
• Be available as part of a scheduled weekly on-call rotation.
• Be available as part of scheduled weekly game maintenance.
• Travel to datacenters to rack and cable servers and other hardware, provide hardware maintenance (replace failed components, etc.), and troubleshoot problems.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 5+ years working in a large-scale Linux server administration role.
• 5+ years System Engineering experience with Linux Server (CentOS/Ubuntu) and associated technology support.
• Experience with at least one of the data center orchestration and configuration management tools (Ansible or Puppet Master is preferred).
• Experience with open source monitoring and methodologies (Zabbix is preferred).
• Strong analysis & troubleshooting skills, and the ability to operate well under pressure.
• Demonstrated ability to develop/modify scripts (Python, PHP, Bash script) for job automation.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team to solve complex problems.
• Self-motivated, flexible, and eager to constantly improve and expand skill set.
• Excellent verbal and written English-language communication skills.
• B.S. degree in a technical discipline (or equivalent work experience).
• Experience with cloud computing (Amazon AWS, Google computing cloud, Microsoft Azure, etc).
• Experience with Virtualization technologies (KVM, VMware/vCenter, etc).
• Experience with Docker container and container orchestration tools (Kubernetes/Swarm).