The Systems Engineer is responsible for supporting game server environments, including several large scale MMO game titles located in the United States and Europe. The role will be responsible for the automation, implementation and maintenance of game servers, will be providing technical insight to the team in exploring new technologies to support current and future deployments, and will be coordinating with other departments and studios to optimize workflows.
Responsibilities & Job Duties
• Join a team of other system and network engineers to support the operations of our “always-on” game and platform services. This position requires a medium to high level of technical knowledge and experience in the area of system administration, system virtualization, hardware and software configuration, and requires basic networking knowledge.
• Deploy, configure, and maintain servers and other critical infrastructure to support game services.
• Improve stability of hardware and software services.
• Perform server performance tuning and capacity planning.
• Work with security team on system hardening.
• Troubleshoot hardware, software, and basic network issues.
• Collaborate with project managers and 3rd party/in-house developers for the implementation of services.
• Create and update documentation (design specs, project plans, proposals, wiki entries).
• Be available as part of a scheduled weekly on-call rotation and server maintenance.
• Short-term travel to datacenters to perform server hardware deployment and maintenance, and troubleshoot problems.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 4+ years System Engineering experience with Windows Server (2012/2016).
• Solid understanding of different protocols and services (Active Directory, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, NTP, SNMP, SMTP, WSUS, WDS, etc.)
• Solid understanding of Datacenter hardware technologies.
• Strong analysis & troubleshooting skills, and the ability to operate well under pressure.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team to solve complex problems.
• Self-motivated, flexible, and eager to constantly improve and expand skill set.
• Excellent verbal and written English-language communication skills.
• System Engineering experience with Linux Server (CentOS/Ubuntu) and associated technology support.
• Demonstrated ability to develop/modify scripts (Powershell, Python, Batch) for job automation.
• Experience with cloud computing (Amazon AWS or Google Cloud).
• Experience with Virtualization technologies (VMware/vCenter, KVM, etc).
• Experience with server hardware (Dell, HP, etc).